D uring years I chronicler association. I started in 1987 when he worked in the weekly Here , owned by Christian Democratic Party. A few weeks before PDC unionists had withdrawn from the Congress of the PIT-CNT when the Communists had put into operation its classic roller. So, in retaliation, no Communist leader had told him here. And, as they were the vast majority in the PIT, the weekly union coverage had become an impossible mission.
The first task my boss asked me was to get us back to communist talk. I was just starting in journalism and that request seemed like a pipe dream. But he was not willing to give up without trying before. I managed
Thelman schedule an interview with Borges, textile powerful communist leader at that time, a member of the Secretariat of the confederation, then become deputy and died in 2009.
The headquarters of the PIT-CNT was in those times in the Old City, at the corner of Buenos Aires and Alzaibar, and Borges quoted me in the bar opposite.
When I arrived, I was expecting. I gathered courage and told him that was new to the job and all he wanted was to cover as objectively as possible the reality of association, but that was impossible if any communist leader deigned to talk to me.
I listened quietly and said nothing. I turned to say more or less the same with other words. Borges asked for a cognac. When the drink came to the table, raised his glass and began to play, moving the liquid to the side to side. He smiled. I anxiously awaited their verdict. Finally I said OK, they trust me and that boycotting the weekly Here could be terminated.
From that day I was a journalist union for about three years. And then again between 1992 and 1994 in the weekly Search.
I got to know enough of the subject. I was in almost all the unions (and its surrounding bars). I guard the door of the Executive Secretariat too late. I attended dozens or perhaps hundreds of assemblies: passionate monotonous, stressful, historical, tedious, which ended with laughter and ended with the shooting. Leaders to engage with admirable honesty, sacrifice and people skills, and others rather despised by their ambition, meanness and double talk. It is false that there is a single labor movement. There are many. I never swallowed the pill it was the same ADEOM that Sunca. They are not.
not remember if it was in 1992 or 93, but I had to cover a long and tense strike in construction.
usually Sunca's workers go on strike when something warrants. When they stop, unlike what happens with some public employee unions do not charge anything. Ie can not afford to stop for mere gymnastics union or small claims.
Sunca When workers stop their work of the greatest damage is not imposed on ordinary citizens but on their employers, employers in the construction. Are pressed very hard.
The vast majority of Sunca leaders know that a strike is not a joke. They know they will not charge on standing. They know that if the strike lasts too long, some companies, the smaller ones, can be closed and if that happens, many workers lose their jobs. They know that if they ask more than what employers can give, many will choose to close down or something else, and it could also leave many companions on the street. Knowing all the forces that defend the rights of workers while maintaining the notion of social responsibility of his task. In the Sunca not play to strike.
is not the same in ADEOM or other public employee unions. To begin: in many cases, not all stops or even hours are discounted. Sometimes discounts, sometimes just a percentage, sometimes nothing.
But there are other differences. In the Municipality of Montevideo or other public agency, if the strike lasts a long time, nothing happens. The Quartermaster is never going to close, local will never be unemployed. Republic Bank will not close by a strike. The State also. Unlike construction workers, civil servants go on strike without jeopardizing their employment in stone.
addition, you can ask for the impossible, to pull the lanyard with maximum power, order any quantity, whatever, whatever comes, and is delusional.
This is possible because a strike by public employees in the Administration, for example, if the union is asking more than what the employer can give, the Montevideo will not go bankrupt or be removed from the market or lower curtain, or the mayor to sell everything and leave the country. No. All it will do in this case the mayor in office will raise your taxes to people in order to pay the amount that the union claimed, his celebrated "conquests."
is why the minimum wage in the Municipality of Montevideo, for eight hours in the lowest position and less qualified, to a pawn any, by compensation included, exceed 24,000 pesos, according to official data. The figure is unrealistic for the Uruguayan market, a salary that never win a construction worker, an amount that will be "pulled" to the pattern political because the political pattern never took anything, just said yes to the union and then moved the cost of the "conquest" of taxes people pay.
always felt great respect and admiration for Sunca by metallurgists for many workers unprotected private unions. Launched a strike on any of these fields is an unquestionable act of courage in which the workers risk all to demand what they consider fair.
But what is courage to go on strike does not affect the pattern, in which there is virtually no risk and which always cost people pay?
Leonardo article Haberkorn
Reproduction prohibited without permission of the author
el.informante.blog @ gmail.com
0 comments:
Post a Comment